Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Best Laid Plans

Telling our tenant he would have to be out by July 1, 2011 was not something I was looking forward to. He had a six-month lease that would put him to April, but I knew he was probably hoping to stay longer. I don’t blame him – who wants to move after six months?? At the same time, I knew this was the right thing to do.

It was such a perfect situation. The girls could move into the upstairs of a 1200 sq. ft bungalow with hardwood floors, two bedrooms, a den and a double heated garage. Kenzie would feel comfortable because she knows the house, the neighbours, the neighbourhood, and even her old school bus stop. Ashley would have lots of room to study and a nice warm home for the PT Cruiser her parents bought her!  And of course, they had an in with their landlords lol! Her parents could rest knowing their daughter had moved away to a place where she had an Aunt and Uncle with a very vested interest in keeping an eye on things.


From our perspective, we had tenants we could count on for the long-term, our daughter would be living with a peer, in a safe and healthy environment. She would be across town, so not so close I would be in danger of hovering, yet close enough if they needed me.

I have to chuckle when I think about how stressed I was that we couldn’t sell the house back in the summer. My husband was convinced buying our new house was the right thing to do, I was convinced we were committing financial suicide. Why, oh why, were things not falling into place like I had planned? why would that darned house not sell? Hubby said there is a reason why it isn't selling, don't worry so much. Don’t you hate it when husbands are right?

I spent many nights thinking about the situation, but no matter how I looked at it, I couldn’t think of one way the situation might be improved.

2 comments: