Monday 13 February 2012

Is the Future Here Already??

Did you know it is 2012 already?


I know, it was a bit of a shock for me too. This is the last year Kenzie spends in high school. That means that starting in the fall, she will only have two afternoons a week where she is working. The rest of the time will involve Hannah Montana re-runs and spending time on Facebook. Not exactly a healthy, full life.


I need to come up with an alternative for her and so I need to start looking now. Ideally, I would love to see her working at least every afternoon. Because she can't work the cashier's till at her current workplace, she won't be able to get any more shifts. That means we need to start looking for a second job for the girl.


On the up side, the 2012 budget came down last week and all AISH recipients are scheduled to receive an additional $400 a month starting in April. That means the average cheque will now be $1588. It is very much appreciated, but can you imagine living off of that? Rent, utilities, food etc.?


There is also an anticipated increase for PDD (Person's with Developmental Disabilities), however, I don't know if it will affect Kenzie's situation or not. The media is reporting that 'agencies' will receive an increase for their workers. However, Kenzie is in an FMS (Family Managed Support). Whether that will mean her supportive roommate will also get an increase is unclear. If it doesn't, I will be annoyed because that means the PC government is pumping more money into agencies - which dollar for dollar cost more - than allowing families to manage their own children's future. In other words, they will put more and more money to pay for administration and CEO's salaries, rent or mortgages on agency buildings etc. rather than directing it towards families that don't have buildings or salaries.


But any-who, I digress. I am getting Kenzie's resume together and we are going to get out there and see if we can find a second job for her. If you know of anyone who needs someone for three afternoons a week, let me know. 


The other hurdle we still need to address is transportation. Currently, I am picking Kenzie up and driving her home from work twice a week. I can't keep doing that and I certainly can't do that when we get her a second job. That means I have taken the leap and applied for Strathcona County Accessible Transportation (SCAT - yes, SCAT. I know, I am sorry). I'm not sure they are going to be the answer to our problems, but I am going to give it a try.


If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on any of these topics, please, please, don't hesitate to comment. We are walking this path for the first time and we could use all the help and insight the inter-web can offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment